This week's #FridayFAQ (frequently asked question) is: “Should we build new or buy used?”
This is one of the most common (and often the very first) question you ask yourself in real estate. The short answer is, it depends on what you’re looking for.
Some people may be in a rush to find an existing home in a new area, and some may be looking to build their dream home. Here are some simple pros and cons with either option (and you'll have to excuse us for being a little biased about building new):
- Less stress during the home buying process. All of the stress is centered around finding the used house that fits your wants and needs, which often is more difficult than you may be expecting.
- Typically faster move-in times (don't have to wait for construction)
- Can purchase a home in need of repairs (for those up to the challenge of handling the repairs) and spend less on the purchase of your home because of that.
- You often run the risk of buying a home that may require minor or significant repair or remodel that wasn't known prior to the purchase.
- When buying a used home you often forfeit the ability to design/customize your home with exactly what you want.
- Your home purchase often won't include any (or as much) warranty coverage.
- Ability to live in a home that you designed, selected and picked out -- everything from the colors, textures, fixtures, appliances and more.
- New homes seldom require short-term repairs or major renovation and, as such, can often have an overall lower cost of ownership.
- Building a new home also means you'll have neighbors building new homes as well. There is something to be said about the community that forms when neighbors move in and get to know each other in new home subdivisions.
- Your new TKG Custom Home will come with a 2-10 Home Builder Warranty to ensure you won't need to worry about a thing after closing.
- You'd get to work with us! We love what we do and would be honored to help you build your next home.
- Just like buying a used home, stress can still sometimes be a part of the experience - but this time it is around making all of the choices you have to make when building your own home - carpet choices, floorplan options, feature upgrades, etc. That's why we have professional designers and decorators to help you every step of the way.
- There are a lot of decisions to be made - especially for first time home buyers. But don't worry - we'll be with you every step of the process as part of the TKG Custom Homes Way.
Ultimately, the best choice between buying used and new is what is best for you and your family. We would be honored to help you build your next home. If building new sounds like what's best for you, give us a call at (830) 556-1185 and let's talk today!